Metro Detroit Counties, OAKLAND COUNTY MI
Many people relocate to Michigan but you might be surprised at some of these facts about Oakland County even if you have lived here all your life.
If you have a Michigan relocation in your future you are going to be researching where to live. Oakland County is one of 5 counties that are located close to Metro Detroit. Out of the 5 Counties Oakland County is the wealthiest county. Oakland County has lots of lakefront properties, high end coummunities, and excellent school systems.
- Oakland County has more people than each of these states: Alaska, Delaware, Montana, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Vermont and Wyoming and the District of Columbia.
- Oakland County population is 1,206,089 as of 2007
- Pontiac is the county seat
- Nine out of the ten automotive parts suppliers on the Fortune 500 list have locations in Oakland County
- One third of Oakland County’s residents 496,069 are children.
- Oakland County has 320 inland lakes (lots of water front property)
- Oakland County ranks 31st in population of all U.S. Counties.
- Oakland County ranked 2nd in per capita income of counties with population over a Million people
- Only seven metro areas nation wide have a median Effective Buying Income higher than Oakland County’s $54,804.
- On January 12, 1819, Oakland County was officially organized and was named for its numerous oak trees
- Oakland County is located north and west of the City of Detroit. Much of Oakland County is located north of 8 Mile Rd
- Oakland County ha s 26 private and 56 public golf courses with 1,443 golf holes available.
- Oakland County has 6 state recreation areas, 3 state parks, and 2 metro parks providing Michigan’s second largest county population with an abundance of leisure opportunity
- Oakland’s retail sales of $25 billion ranked 20th among all counties in 2006. This exceeded the total retail sales of 14 different states and the District of Columbia.
- Size of the county is 872 square miles
- Sixty percent of Fortune 500 companies and 50% of Global Fortune 500 companies have business locations in Oakland County.
- Oakland County is Michigan’s leading center for international commercial activity with over 700 companies representing 33 countries with business locations in the County.
910 business establishments representing over 700 foreign-parent firms are currently operating in Oakland County.