Here is another article on Michigan home selling tips or how to get more money for your home! Did you know that home buyers will pay more for an updated, move in ready home? Did you know that a Michigan home that has had the kitchen and bathrooms updated, good flooring, and freshly painted may get multiple offers in the first two weeks when it is priced right. Home buyers will over pay for a move in ready house that is nicely updated while passing buy a home that needs updating. It does not matter if it is a lake home in Oakland County or a home in Plymouth Michigan. Home buyers are the same all over metro Detroit. They have the same taste right now. They want move in ready homes.
I cannot stress how important it is to have a move in ready home. Buyers will sometime overlook another bad feature of the house if the home is move in ready. So let’s talk about what makes a house move in ready. This is your goal. This is what I would call a better home that is ready to sell.
- Freshly painted in neutral tones. White wood work is in, but natural wood is fine too.
- Good not worn carpet or wood floors. It does not have to be oak flooring, but it helps not to be the cheapest pergo flooring either. No stains, no wear spot
- Updated kitchen cabinets. Again no wear spots. Nice modern handles help. The wide 3-6 inch stainless or nickel bar handles are in.
- Updated bathrooms. The old small 1 or 2 inch odd color tiles from the 1960′ and 70′s need to be gone. Again neutral color. Large 8″ and 12″ tiles are in.
- Granite counter tops. In the bathrooms and kitchens is a big plus. Sometimes old good cabinets can get an upgrade with granite counter tops.
- Stainless Steel appliances help, but are not necessary.
- If the roof shingles are curling or has been patched it needs to be replaced.
- A finished basement is a plus but not necessary
- Good exterior. A brick home, or a home with good vinyl siding is a plus.
So this is what a perfect, good to excellent condition home should have. It is so important to have most of these features if you want to get absolute top dollar for your home. Today’s home buyers are not stupid. They are not going to buy your home at top dollar unless it is in good to great shape. I work with too many buyers, I list too many homes not to know what buyers want. I know how some sellers think that they can get top dollar for a dated home. Then it sits and sits on the market. It is so important if you really want to sell your Michigan home to get it move in ready.
Wallpaper is one of the features that home buyers hate. It is a killer. Home buyers will walk away from a home with wall paper. They are not going to take the time or pay top dollar for any home with wall paper. I do not care if you love it and it was expensive wall paper. I have a friend that loves her wall paper. She lives in a nice subdivision in Novi in a home that the main floor is loaded with wall paper. It is so 1990′s. She is one of those sellers that has rose colored glasses. She thinks her Novi home is so great. But she is in for a surprise because she will not get top dollar because of the wall paper.
Home buyers in 2014 want an updated home with no work when they move in. It is just that simple. I hope these Michigan home selling tips help you get top dollar for your home. Whether it is a lake house on Oxbow Lake in White Lake Twp or Canton home or a lake home on Watkins Lake in Waterford these tips will help get it sold. Here are two more good tips on how to sell a Michigan home How to sell your Michigan real estate quick and Staging a West Bloomfield home
Remember whether you are moving to Wayne County MI or selling a home we can help. We are one of southeastern Michigan’s top realtors because we work hard to help our clients get what they want. We also offer great buyers perk to. So give us a call at (248) 310-6239.
Search the most current listings and Michigan homes for sale so you don’t miss out on the best home deals.
or maybe a snow blower is needed more